Friday, September 25, 2009

Thoughts on teaching my kids at home. . .

I wonder if I could be termed a reluctant homeschooler? I dislike the images and labels that instantly come to mind and often find myself frustrated by the extremes that homeschooling can seem to cause. Then comes the fact that I just don't consider myself a teacher! Say the words "dream career" and teaching wouldn't even cross my mind.

But. . . here we are, embarking on the journey of teaching our kids at home. For us it is a positive choice, not a negative one. We aren't out to criticize those who choose a different educational path. We aren't seeking to imply that we are smarter and wiser than the many gifted educators in our community. It is simply the best choice for our family.

We want our kids to love God; we want them to intelligently contribute their gifts and abilities to society in a way that glorifies Him. Teaching our kids at home is the best way to accomplish those goals right now. Homeschooling - not our main purpose. Raising our kids to love God . . . that's what matters to us above all else.

But on a lighter note. . .

I never thought I would enjoy this teaching stuff as much as I am. We are having a blast. Our biggest challenge is making sure Cambria doesn't tear apart anything major while we are studying.

4 comments:

  1. Homeschooling is the hardest thing I have ever done, and the most fun, and the most rewarding, and involved the most tears and the most wonderful moments of my life. I am so thankful that we could do it, and that we are done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayley, this doesn't surprise me, due to comments that I've heard you make before. Nor can I say that I will be entirely different myself when we get to that stage (having had some of the same "negative" thoughts myself).

    However, teaching at a Christian school last year (substituting) caused me to realize how much I want that control over my children's lives. Like you said, only because that's what I believe will be best for them, not because I'll be trying to prove a point. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, raising our kids to love God is the real purpose. All the other reasons just fall under that category too.

    Is that a Kummos book your son's working on? How does he like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that post. I will begin homeschooling our son next fall for just that reason "raising our kids to love God."

    ReplyDelete