Tuesday, December 4, 2012

monday quotes

Mondays are hard for me to get used to.

I know, there have been thirty years of Mondays for me, and I still don't like them.

But my creative soul has a new idea to motivate my Mondays.  I can dump all the quotes I collect in my  head here in the blog on Mondays.  I hate to overwhelm FB with quotes (you know, no one wants to be the annoying person cluttering the newsfeed) but if you're here, you chose to be here, so you won't care. 

Of course, this Monday motivator can't even begin to top my mom's.  All through my high school years she dubbed Mondays "Fun Mon" and they began with Krispy Kreme's for breakfast.  After that the day was. . . well, still a Monday.  But you couldn't help looking forward to a sour cream glazed doughnut when you went to bed on Sunday night.

Quotes are just a little less fun.

But they're still fun to me.

I'm always reading something.

My soul would die, I think, if I couldn't read.  This week I'm in the middle of

Habits of a Healthy Home (Bill Carmichael)

Home is the school for building relationships.  Home teaches us how to get along with people and how to connect with others.  There are no shortcuts.
Chapter 6, pg. 181

Ten Days (Janet Gilsdorf)
I found this book haunting.  It reached my heart in such a deep way because it explored the relationship of a young doctor husband and his wife as they spend ten life-altering days in the ICU with their six month old son.  Their son lived.  Ours didn't.  But something about the book just grabbed me.  Men and women think and grieve so differently.  Janet Gilsdorf skillfully highlights those unique differences.  Here, they are taking their son home.

He stood in the doorway, incredulous.  "Anna," he said, "you aren't packed."

She was slumped in a chair, her back toward him.  He couldn't see her face.
 
. . .he watched her shoulders tremble as she turned back toward [their son]. . .she seemed utterly helpless.  And yet. . . he stared at the woman he thought he knew so well and thought of his patients, those with bone cancer or multiple fractures or new amputations.  Sometimes they needed a buffer against the storm that roared around them, and they needed it from him. . . maybe she, too needed some kind of protection.
Ten Days, pg. 259,260
 
Risking Church (Jim Kallam, Jr.)

This paragraph is so true, but I couldn't help just cracking up at the last line. 

There's a problem with [approaching ministry as a project to be managed], a rather big one.  Life is unmanageable.  Shepherding is messy business.  It involves caring for, feeding, binding wounds, protecting, leading. . . to further complicate matters, some sheep don't want guidance or help.
Ch.3, pg. 29
 
Don't Waste Your Life (John Piper)

The thought of a risk free life is a mirage.

 
And from my very favorite writer  . . . well. . . he isn't a writer, but I found this Social Studies paper today in the attic while searching for Christmas bins.

This is my Daniel, such a unique mix of carefree bliss and extreme pessimism.  He hasn't changed a bit since age eleven.

Question:  Are you worried about what kind of place the world will be when you grow up?
 Not really, but their [sic] are lots of things to be worried about like muder, the aids virus, who & what our next president will be like, drugs, L.A. riots, racism, terrisim, hostiages, threat of war, What will happen in Russia, Iraq, Ethnic Groups.  I think that all the people are the problem.  They make all the problems I listed above & if their heart would change they would change. 
 
I laughed about this all afternoon.  Nope, not worried a bit!  Only about 500 catastrophes on my mind! 


***

Christmas advent activity today:  personal bedroom trees.  See if you notice which one is the GIRL tree and which one is the BOY tree. 




Yes.  Jacob is already dealing with a fire in his Christmas tree.  Oh dear.  Should have gone with artificial.

No comments:

Post a Comment