Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls

It's that time of year when I'm reminded why I love the midwest so much. . .

There is nothing  like the sounds and smells of autumn. 

My sister has this great rule about autumn baking and despite all of the pumpkin love, I follow it:  apple before pumpkin.

So we've been eating lots of apple stuff; the kids and I invented these  yummies yesterday.

Did you know you can make cinnamon rolls out of regular bread dough?  It's so easy. . . and if you don't make bread you can use Rhodes frozen dough.

Anyway, we used a loaf portion of whole wheat bread dough, rolled it out and added caramel apple stuff.  (recipe follows.)
(There aren't any left.)


Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls

One loaf portion bread dough, rolled into 12 x 18 rectangle

2 T. butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 T. cinnamon

1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped fine

4 T. caramel dip (like T. Marzetti's)

for frosting:  I just use canned cream cheese frosting

Spread butter on dough, sprinkle on the following ingredients in order, dropping the caramel dip in dollops.  Roll up jelly roll style, pinching the edges to seal.  Cut with thread into slices and let rise in 9" round buttered pan. 

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Let cool for ten minutes and frost with cream cheese frosting.

1 comment:

  1. you make it look so easy:)
    Too bad I am on 'low-carb' diet for the next few weeks... I'll have to save for after that !!
    They look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete