Sunday, October 5, 2014

(friends who carry)

Today I sat in Sunday School, sipping on my coffee and studying Mark 2 right out of the Bible since I couldn't find my lesson book at home (story of my life).

I like highlighting the points that stand out to me and dragging my little purple pen along these words jumped out at me as I read the account of Jesus healing the paralyzed man:

Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”
 
 
Haven't we all been there? Paralyzed by fear, by grief, by sin, by pain?  And sometimes you're just too weak to see your own need, and you're just too broken to fix it yourself or even know who to ask for help. 
 
Enter the friends. 
 
 
The friends that see through to the deeper need and carry you to Jesus.
 
The ones who stop their schedule and get involved in your mess.
 
The friends who aren't afraid to be in your face and tell you what needs to happen and propel you in the right direction.
 
Friends who hypothetically tear holes in roofs to get you to the only One Who can heal and help.
 
And Jesus saw their faith. 
 
Today I'm just standing in awe of the power of friendship and so grateful for the gift of friends who have the strength to believe even when I don't.
 
I want to be that friend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment